Start a new Travel Blog! Blogabond Home Maps People Photos My Stuff


16 Blog Entries
2 Trips
81 Photos


Mike & Heather's Cross-Country Adventure
Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal

Shorthand link:


Buddy List


Trees of Mystery

Klamath, United States

We woke up on the later end of things, and headed to lunch. It was pretty busy since a tour bus had come right before us. Luckily, we had an awesome waitress, who actually ended up making our food herself. She was very sweet. I got a Turkey and bacon melt with vegetable beef soup and Mike got a bbq roast beef sandwich and a salad. We finished up and headed across the street ...

To the Trees of Mystery. It consisted of a walking, self-guided tour up to the Sky Trail (gondola).

There was a cute little wildflower garden...

where we walked around...

The Elephant Tree...

Nature's Underpass...

The roots of a fallen tree...

The Cathedral Tree...

And the Brotherhood Tree, among others.

Then we got on the Sky Trail and went up the mountain.

At the top, we could see over the mountains, in this picture, you can see the white tree thing- at the top is an osprey's nest.

On the way back down, the trail diverged and went walked the path of "Tall Tales" where the story of Paul Bunyan was carved into the trees.

At the end of the path was this section of the tree, showing how old the tree is. Crazy!! We wandered around the gift shop for a bit and the "End of the Trail" Indian museum within it. It was pretty cool.

Then we went to a spot where a tree had been carved out but is still living, allowing us to drive our car through it. Wicked cool.

After this, we went up to Crescent City to look around. We ate a place called the Apple Peddler. Mike got steak and chicken teriyaki, and I got pork chops. We shared a Dutch Apple Cobbler with ice cream for dessert. It was ok. Then on the way back, we stopped along side the road and walked out on the beach. Then, we came back to our hotel, played Trivial Pursuit for a bit, and went to bed.

permalink written by  prettyblueroses on July 17, 2009 from Klamath, United States
from the travel blog: Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal
Send a Compliment

San Fog-cisco

San Francisco, United States

We woke up this morning and decided to go swimming. The pool was a bit low, only 4.5 ft. at the deepest, and old, so the floor was all up and bubbly. After a bit, we went in the jacuzzi, which was pretty hot (104 degrees) and relaxed.

Back in the room, I called Marc and we talked about meeting up around 5. So we went to lunch first. We went the wrong way, but eventually found ourselves at Max's on the Square, a deli down the street. I got a reuben and Mike got a philly cheesesteak with pastrami instead. They were both good, and then we got dessert, which was a vanilla sundae with coconut macaroons- awesome.

We relaxed a bit before getting ready to go out; Marc and Yuko came and picked us up at 5. We drove around and saw a lot- Chinatown, North Beach (kinda like the North End) where we got some coffee and walked around through the park for a moment. We went up to the Coit Tower and wandered around to see views of the city. Unfortunately it was pretty foggy, so all of the sites were hard to see.

They took us up to the top of this road that we drove down- it is a famous road, very steep and very winding; it was built that way to allow the horses to get up and down it. Lots of expensive houses up there! We tried to go to another high point, but it was raining, windy and foggy and you couldn't see anything. Then we went to the Golden Gate Bridge!

The bridge disappeared into the fog, which was pretty amusing. We spent some time looking around up there, and then went to check out Golden Gate Park.

We had dinner reservations at 8 at a place called the Blue Plate that Yuko really liked. We got there a bit early, but it was fine. We sat out in the garden, right next to a fountain, which was really nice. They had a heat lamp since it was a bit chilly. The food was incredible. Marc and I got meatloaf, Yuko got the pork chop, and Mike got the rib eye. Afterwards, Marc got a piece of blueberry nectarine pie with vanilla ice cream that we all tried- it was really good. We sat around and talked and just enjoyed ourselves.

Today was quite wonderful. We had a great time with Marc and Yuko and seeing the sights of San Francisco.

permalink written by  prettyblueroses on July 15, 2009 from San Francisco, United States
from the travel blog: Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal
Send a Compliment


Oakdale, United States

So we woke up at 1, rested and ready to go. We were met with 100 degree weather and excruciating humidity upon exiting our hotel room- eek! The humidity felt good (after all the crazy dryness), but the heat was insane. After letting the car air out for a bit, we decided to grab lunch before heading out, and found an A&W/KFC down the street. I just got a hot dog and some little cheese things, Mike got a variety box (KFC)… and, of course, a nice cold mug of root beer on tap!

Then we took off. We had already gone most of the way, so it was about 2 hours left to San Francisco. We drove by some more farms, saw some strawberries, almonds, walnuts, alfalfa, corn… and then we finally got on a real highway again! Found our way to San Fran and our hotel; put the car in a garage across the street (not quite as expensive), and checked in.

The hotel was nice, very fancy… we weren’t quite fitting in, since we were in our travel clothes, but we didn’t care. Got up to our room and just relaxed. I was able to update the blog and Mike watched some tv.

We made a reservation at an Italian restaurant not too far from here, took a nice long shower, and got ready. Took a cab over and had a really nice dinner. Bread with an olive/garlic/balsamic spread to start, Mike got veal marsala and I got tortellini carbonara. Both were incredible. For dessert we got a chocolate lava cake with vanilla gelato. Everything was wonderful.

Then, we hailed a cab back to our hotel and relaxed before collapsing into bed for a full night’s sleep.

permalink written by  prettyblueroses on July 14, 2009 from Oakdale, United States
from the travel blog: Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal
Send a Compliment

Trails and Tribulations

Yosemite National Park, California, United States

We woke up this morning at 8 and headed to breakfast. The Lodge dining room is family seating, so we sat with two older couples and a father with his two sons. They all had been there before, so we didn't have much to talk about with them. We did end up telling them about our first road trip out here when they asked where we were originally from. The food was just ok, but we wanted to make sure we'd have enough energy for the day.

We first called and made a reservation to go horseback riding. It was a 2 hour ride from 3-5; we had to be there at 2. Since it was still early, we decided to explore some the trails around the campsite.

We pretty much just wandered along the trials we found. We tried to stay along the river, which was beautiful and very calming. We were able to hear the river from our tent and it was the sound that soothed us to sleep.

While out, we saw some of the local wildlife, like deer, what looked like prairie dogs, a little gopher-like animal coming up from a whole in the ground, and many birds.

We then headed to the stables. We ended up riding mules, not horses, and the trip took us up and down a mountain. We were paired with a family of 3- father, mother, and young daughter, and 2 guides that came with us.

While out on the trial, we climbed up some pretty rough terrain. We got to see a coyote though! He was blonde, and very beautiful. He followed us around for a bit, which was really nice, except that my mule kept stopping to look at it!!

Eventually, we got up to the top of the mountain and had a beautiful view of the Tuolumne Meadows and many of the peaks of Yosemite.

And it went downhill from there- literally, in more ways than one.

I began to not really feel so well... not only was I hot, but I started to feel lightheaded and like I was going to pass out. Mike took one look at me and told one of the guides that we needed to stop. I asked if I could get off, and they let me. One of them gave me her water and the other gave me her bandanna which she had soaked in the river. We decided to split up- one of the guides, Charlie, took the family of 3, and the other, Karen, stayed with us. Mike helped me feel better, so I got back up on the mule- big mistake. The second I got up on him I immediately felt like I was going to pass out, and I didn't think I was going to be able to make it off on my own accord. After resting for a while, we decided that Karen would take the mules back and Mike and I would walk back.

This wasn't exactly the best thing. We had to walk upwards of a mile, with me feeling lightheaded and pretty exhausted at this point, not to mention pretty freaked out. Karen said that it was altitude sickness, and fairly common. Still, I was worried. And that rough terrain? Much worse when you are on foot! Most of it was uphill and only some of it was in the shade. On top of this, it was prime mosquito time, and we were both being eating alive. We had to stop fairly frequently, and Mike began to worry that we weren't going to make it back by dark. Luckily though, we did, and we were both ready to collapse.

Back at the camp, we made reservations for dinner and relaxed for an hour before eating. At dinner, we were placed with a father and his 14 year old daughter, and a family of 4 from France. It was so fun to listen to their accents! And the father and daughter were very nice too. They gave us rolls and salad; Mike got a steak with a baked potato and corn on the cob, and I got a chicken Caesar salad. We shared both. The corn was so sweet it needed nothing- just like Amy's from the 4th! And everything else was really good too.

After dinner, Mike lit up the fire and we got comfortable. The plan was to get up fairly early, pack, and go see some more before we left. Unfortunately, this was not to be.

I woke up after being asleep for only 2 hours in intense pain. My whole chest felt constricted and it was hard to breathe. Mike woke up and went to the Lodge to ask what was going on. It was the altitude sickness again. The only cure- descent. Mike made the decision that we should leave instead of waiting until morning... so we quickly packed and left. As we descended, I began to feel better. Unfortunately though, we had to drive over 3 hours to find civilization and a hotel to stay in! We found a Holiday Inn Express and checked in at 5am, got a late check out, and slept until 1pm. Sore and exhausted, the day was finally over.

At the end of the day, all that matters is that I have the best spouse in the world. Even Karen (the guide) said we won the couple of the week/month/year (neither of us remember exactly what she said- it was hectic) award. Mike was perfect- patient and helpful and loving. I couldn't have made it without him.

permalink written by  prettyblueroses on July 13, 2009 from Yosemite National Park, California, United States
from the travel blog: Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal
Send a Compliment

On Our Way... Eventually

Los Angeles, United States

So we woke up late this morning... the alarm didn't go off!

But eventually, we are able to get on our way! After shopping and packing last night, doing laundry, updating the GPS this morning, getting the camera and the blog ready, and settling the cats and the fish, we are finally able to leave!

It should take 6 hours (hopefully there isn't any traffic!) to get to Yosemite. We are staying in a canvas permanent tent with cots- as close to camping as we are going to get!

Don't know how much internet access we'll have- we'll try and update from our hotel in San Francisco, but other than there, the wifi is most likely scarce since we'll be in the woods... So don't hold your breath!

Luckily, Mike was able to get his hands on a device that plugs into the car and has outlets used to power up electronics, so we'll be able to charge the cell phone and I'll be able to play Risk and the Sims to keep me occupied while he's driving!

Hope the meows don't miss us too much! =)
(Nala, aka Keyteh, and Chat Gris, aka Littlest Love, all cuddled up together in their tunnel!)

Here is a preview of our trip:

Sun 7/12: drive to Yosemite (6 hrs.), check in @ 5
Tuolumne Canvas Tent
Mon 7/13: Yosemite
Tues 7/14: check out Yosemite @ 11, drive to San Fran (3.5 hrs.), check in @ 3
Hotel Nikko
222 Mason Street
San Francisco, California 94102
Wed 7/15: San Francisco- day with Marc and Yuko
Thurs 7/16: check out San Fran @ 12, drive to Redwoods (6 hrs.), check in @ 2
Motel Trees
15495 Highway 101 N.
Klamath, CA 95548
Fri 7/17: Redwoods
Sat 7/18: Redwoods
Sun 7/19: check out Redwoods @ 11, drive home (13 hrs.) along the Pacific Coast Highway

permalink written by  prettyblueroses on July 12, 2009 from Los Angeles, United States
from the travel blog: Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal
Send a Compliment

Driving on a One-Way Highway: Ur Doin It Rong

Yosemite National Park, California, United States

So the drive up to Yosemite took much longer than expected. It is 11pm and we still aren’t at our campsite!!

We drove through lots of the arid region- mountains covered in dead, yellow grass, the desert, and lots of burnt ground from the fires. As we drove through the desert, I noticed a sign that said “Avoid Overheating- Turn Air Conditioner Off Next 6 Miles”- so we did. And boy, was it hot! Up to 105 degrees, with no air conditioning… you could feel the pressure on your chest, preventing you from breathing normally. Not fun. However, it was a good thing we did it. The entire breakdown lane of the highway was just about lined with cars that had broken down from overheating. We even saw a truck with its brakes on fire!!

Eventually we started to get away from some of that when we got up towards Fresno- wine country. There were patches of cute little flowering bushes along the side of the road, but even better was the acres and acres worth of farms! We saw lots of things growing: lemons, grapes, pistachios, walnuts, almonds, alfalfa, corn, raisin grapes, English walnuts, oranges, and cherries. We also saw lots of cattle, and a few slaughterhouses along the way as well. We ended up stopping at Bravo’s Cheese Factory- a cute little place with a gift shop, restaurant, ice cream parlor, antiques, bathrooms, and fresh fruit. We wandered through the gift shop, Mike took pictures of the crazy oasis set up outside, we sympathized with the very hot bunnies (it was over 100 degrees outside!), I got a scoop of Butter Pecan ice cream and we bought some fresh fruit- a bag of cherries, a white peach, and a Santa Rosa plum. Mmmm!

Back on our way again, we continued on until we reached the little town of Oakhurst. We kept seeing signs along the way about wine trails, but weren’t able to stop and explore. We stopped to take out some money from the ATM and decided to eat dinner, since we didn’t think there would be much beyond that point. We ended up eating at a little Chinese food place called “A Taste of China.” For $10 each we got a cup of soup and a full plate, with lo mein, fried rice, a fried wonton, an egg roll, and main course. Mike got the sweet and sour pork and I got the cashew chicken (with no peppers!). The food was incredible- we were pleasantly surprised at how good everything was! After filling up and leaving a good tip, we took off.

Off the main road, we found ourselves on a winding path through a thick forest. The trees were tall and gorgeous, and the smell of the sweet pine permeated everything. It was a beautiful smell, and very refreshing to finally be back in nature like we remembered it—not in the city, and not in the desert!!

Yosemite is huge. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the gate, it was dark. We paid our entrance fee and asked the woman at the gate where to go. She was only marginally helpful, as we were confused about where exactly we were headed. A woman on the phone earlier gave us a specific address, but this woman told us to go a different way. We figured we’d deal with it when we got to the split between the two.

The winding road continued, frequently with fun and interesting signs like “speeding kills bears!” “falling rocks ahead” “lights on, no stopping” “smoke on road ahead” and “management fire, do not report.” Yes, there was a fire, although we couldn’t see it, lit by the management. And we drove through miles of smoky road. As nice as it smelled, the smoke was killing me and I couldn’t stop coughing. Finally, it was over… and then came the moment of reckoning.

We came to fork where we had to decide- take the route the woman told us on the phone, or the one the woman at the gate said. We decided we should pull over at the next turnout and call the front desk again to ask. Unfortunately, we had to decide first, and choose the original route. Turns out, it was a two-lane, one-way highway. We pulled over near a very calm sounding river. But we had no reception, and couldn’t talk to anyone long enough to get out our question, let alone an answer. We turned the lights on began trying to make sense of the park map we were handed upon entrance. It was then that we realized we had gone the wrong way. So what now? We pondered. We had three options. 1) Drive down the wrong way, 2) drive backwards back to the split, or 3) keep driving forward and pray that there would be someway to get where we needed to go, however many hours it would take. After deliberating for quite some time, Mike decided he could go backwards and make it back. There were very few cars on the road for such a time, after all. So on went the hazards, and we began our backwards trek. He managed to not drive us off the road and not hit any cars, and although it was further back than we thought, we made it. Whew! Crisis averted.

It was at this point that we noticed a new problem. Since we had our windows open to let in the cool air, many, many bugs managed to find their way into the car while we were stopped. We spent the next hour driving swatting away massive mosquitoes, unrecognizable big flies, and smaller assorted ones too. This was also dangerous, as Mike used his intense bug catching skills with one hand while the other kept us on the road. Eventually, it appeared that we had got all of them, and were able to relax for the rest of the ride. Well, not Mike. He had to contend with the road and the field mice hanging out on it in order to avoid hitting them as we drove along. A scenic ride, not quite as winding, but increasing in elevation up to 10,000 feet. Crazy! Our campsite is up in the high Sierra Nevadas.

We passed many points that would have been wonderful lookouts; unfortunately, all we saw was the darkness of the cliff as it dropped off next to it with nothing to prevent you from flying over the edge. Eeek!

Finally we reached the campsite. We had to put all of our food and anything with a scent (including all cosmetics!) into bear lockers to prevent our car and tent from being broken into! We brought in our suitcases and Mike lit up a fire in the wood-burning stove, and we curled up together to go to sleep!

permalink written by  prettyblueroses on July 12, 2009 from Yosemite National Park, California, United States
from the travel blog: Northern Expedition: Our Journey to NorCal
Send a Compliment

Home Sweet Home

Los Angeles, United States

So we woke up this morning, on this last day of our journey, at 7:34am. Mike had wanted to sleep in, but I thought it would be best to get an early start.

We finished the zucchini bread for breakfast, which was sad. Tricia- it was the best snack we had the whole trip!! So, so good =)

We drove through the desert pretty much the entire day. Highest temperature: 102 degrees. We went to stop for lunch, and there was only one place within 100 miles- a Dairy Queen. It was crazy busy and the food was what you'd expect. It was especially silly because it took as long as it would have to stop at a sit-down restaurant. But such is life.

From there we continued on. Nothing happened until shortly after we entered California. It started to get a bit smoky- hazy, from the smog, perhaps. And then you could smell smoke. And then... fire engines raced past with their sirens on. And the road pretty much became impassable. Traffic was extremely slow and we could barely see out in front of us because of all the smoke. Turns out, there were multiple little fires burning all along the side of the highway. Welcome to California!

Even so, we made good time and got here around 4:30. We only brought a few things in with us. First order of business: We made the bed. Mike napped.

Then, we then made a quick trip to Walmart for some supplies- an air conditioner (much needed!), cat litter (since we left it at home, and we were there), and a mattress pad. The Walmart was crazy!! It was three stories high, with escalators and elevators, and the outside looked like a Macy's.

Mike set up the ac when we got back (it works great!), but we didn't re-do the bed. And to sleep we went.

  • We'll continue to update so you all can see our new place once we've finished moving in! Thanks for coming along on our journey with us! =)

  • permalink written by  prettyblueroses on August 9, 2008 from Los Angeles, United States
    from the travel blog: Mike & Heather's Cross-Country Adventure
    tagged LosAngeles and Driving

    Send a Compliment

    The Grand Canyon

    Williams, United States

    This morning we awoke at 7:34- well, at least I did! Fancy Hotel had a very nice shower and toiletries. We left shortly after 8 and headed on our way to the Grand Canyon.

    After driving for a few hours through New Mexico, we thought it might be smart to stop a Walmart and buy some water to prepare ourselves for the journey through the desert tomorrow, just incase. I also bought a new hair clip for myself, since the one I had broke. We then went to Applebees for lunch. We got the combo things- so we had onion rings and mozzarella sticks, Mike got a penne thing, and I got my oriental chicken salad, and then it came with dessert- a mini hot fudge sundae and a mini apple pie type thing. We then went to a Waldenbooks quickly (I had finished my books and needed more!), and then got gas. After filling up, we were approached by an older man who knocked on Mike's window and begged us for money. He said he is a Navajo Indian from Arizona and needed money for lunch- his name was George Mason (very strange!). He was clearly very, very drunk, and we apologized and told him we didn't have any cash. Which was true. So after all that, we kept going.

    Along the way, Mike kept seeing signs for places he would have liked to have gone, like the Petrified Forest and Crater National Park, but worried that if we stopped we'd get to the Grand Canyon too late to see it well. We did attempt to see the crater thing, but once we realized you had to pay we turned around.

    As we drove, the storm that has been stalking us this entire trip continued to do so. We passed many Indian Reservations, Trading Posts, and Casinos.

    We finally reached the Grand Canyon about quarter past 5 (thanks, time change!). We walked around various areas and spent some time there. It was completely indescribable, and as such, we've decided that instead of attempting to do so, we will let the pictures speak for themselves, although they really don't do it justice.

    We made the 1.5 hour trip to the hotel in 45 minutes. Grabbed a pizza at a crazy busy Pizza Hut (the woman was nice- we felt bad for her) and headed to the hotel. Upon which we discovered that they did not have our reservations. There were a few people who went in after us that had the same problem- luckily, we were there first and it was resolved so we have a room. The room is decent, although the wireless doesn't reach where we are! Oh well. So this will be posted a day late, again. But such is life.

    We hit over 3,000 miles today. Whoa.

    permalink written by  prettyblueroses on August 8, 2008 from Williams, United States
    from the travel blog: Mike & Heather's Cross-Country Adventure
    tagged GrandCanyon, Driving and Arizona

    Send a Compliment

    Sunny Santa Fe Would Be Nice

    Santa Fe, United States

    We woke up this morning at 7:30 and were on our way before 8. We went to Pearl Street, which is like a promenade with shops and restaurants lining the street. It is blocked off for pedestrians only, and there are flowers and plants everywhere. We were there so early that not many people were around. Andrea said that usually there are tons of street performers and assorted types of people hanging out everywhere.

    We stopped in a little coffee shop for coffee and bagels which we took with us, and then we went for a walk down the street just to look around. Most things were closed, but ti was still nice to see everything before we left. We saw a beautiful view of the mountains, and then sat down on a bench to eat and relax.

    After that we went back to the cars and followed Andrea to Chautauqua. The mountains are right there- it was gorgeous. Mike took tons of pictures (of course!), and Andrea showed us where she's hiked and pointed out other cool things. Maybe next time we can go on a hike (lol!).

    We said goodbye because she had to go to work, but as she went to leave, her car wouldn't start. So we asked these guys that were there for some jumper cables (since neither of us have them) and we jumped her car. Luckily, it worked, and it was good. We said goodbye again and she left. We spent a few more minutes there just to take it all in.

    I wish we had been able to spend more time with her, but I'm glad that we had the time that we did anyways. Although it is unfortunate that we didn't get to see Mt. Rushmore, spending the day in Chicago and then being able to see Anthony and Andrea was definitely worth it.

    We then went to the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, CO. Basically, it is a huge area in the mountains with all these crazy natural rock formations. We went in the visitor's center to get a map, and then drove around it for a bit.

    We found some really great views of the mountains and were able to pull over and get out to look around. It was a really nice stop on our way and I'm glad Andrea suggested it!

    Then we continued onto Santa Fe. It was a shorter drive today, about 7.5 hours total and about 5 from the place we stopped. We didn't stop for lunch (just for gas!) and drove straight through. And it rained. Again. We are pretty positive at this point that the storms are following us around. Anthony and Andrea said that yesterday was the first time it had rained in their area in forever. So we had to deal with a dripping turtle and winds blowing us all over the road once more.

    We got to the Hilton a little past 5. It is very nice. Strangely enough though, you have to pay for parking and the internet, which we didn't have to in the sketchy hotels. =\ But our room is nice and comfy anyways. We managed to figure out that we can use the internet free in the lobby, so we camped out there to find a place for dinner. We went to the Atomic Grill. Mike got a spinach and garlic pizza and I got ribs. It was ok. Not the best food in the world but not bad either. And I was starving by the time we got there, so it was good to eat!

    And so here we are. We just booked our hotel outside of the Grand Canyon for tomorrow (we were not thrilled to discover that the closest hotels are 60 miles away and no more than 2 stars!) but it worked out alright anyways. We are looking forward to going there!

    permalink written by  prettyblueroses on August 7, 2008 from Santa Fe, United States
    from the travel blog: Mike & Heather's Cross-Country Adventure
    tagged Family, Driving, Colorado and NewMexico

    Send a Compliment

    “The love of a family is life's greatest blessing”

    Boulder, United States

    So after only a few short hours of sleep, we got up and began the 13-hour trek to Colorado. We were tired, but ok. We stopped for gas, stopped for a lunch on the road at Arby's, and didn't stop again until we got to Colorado. The drive was interesting, because poor Chloe kept trying to tell us to go on roads that had stopped existing. There were tons of roadblocks and detours and re-routed parts of the highway, so we ended up just turning her off for most of it. At one point, she thought we were driving the wrong direction on the highway! But we made it just fine anyways.

    The plan was to meet at Anthony's and go from there. We got to his place a little bit before 6 (thanks to the time change!). He was on his way home from work and Andrea was on her way too. Unfortunately, the traffic was really bad and Andrea couldn't make it, so we spent some time with Anthony before heading to Andrea's.

    We found Danielle and went inside. First of all, Isabella is adorable!! She was too cute and so friendly despite the fact that we are complete strangers to her. Their apartment is really nice. It is very spacious and well-decorated. She gave us a tour of the place and then we spent some time talking to her and playing with the baby- and the cat! Who is also very friendly =)

    Once Anthony got home we spent some time with him and then went out to Friday's for dinner. It was really nice to catch up with them, even if it was only for a few hours. I'm really glad we were able to do that. And I'm so happy that I got to meet their baby!

    After that, we departed and headed for Andrea's. Her place is also really great. They have a townhouse, and it has multiple floors, which is cool, and plenty of room. It was awesome to spend some time with her. We also met her roommate Jess, who was very nice, and she even let us use her computer. Andrea showed us a place to go on our way tomorrow, and she also showed us a different way to search for hotels that we hadn't known about- and wish we had! Turns out the Grand Canyon is about 14.5 hours from her, so that wasn't going to happen. We decided to book a hotel in Santa Fe, NM as a mid-way point. We booked ourselves a room at the Hilton for only slightly more than it would have cost us to stay at the Econo Lodge! Very cool.

    We decided that since it was dark and raining, we'd wake up early and go walk around for a bit before she had to work since we wouldn't be able to really see anything anyways. And we were pretty tired too, after driving all day, so we all went to bed. She let us sleep in her bed, although I felt bad about it, but her bed was wicked comfy!! So with everything taken care of, we got the good night's sleep that we sorely needed.

    Disclaimer: Unfortunately, once we passed into Colorado, our memory card was full, and since we hadn't been able to put everything on the computer yet, we couldn't delete the pictures on it! Soooo that is why there are no pictures of this day =(

    permalink written by  prettyblueroses on August 6, 2008 from Boulder, United States
    from the travel blog: Mike & Heather's Cross-Country Adventure
    tagged Family, Driving and Colorado

    Send a Compliment

    Viewing 1 - 10 of 16 Entries
    first | previous | next | last

    author feed
    author kml

    Heading South?

    Online Spanish lessons with a live personal tutor FairTutor can hook you up with Online Spanish lessons with a live personal tutor. It's pretty sweet! Online Spanish lessons with a live personal tutor www.fairtutor.com

    create a new account


    Blogabond v2.40.58.80 © 2021 Expat Software Consulting Services about : press : rss : privacy
    View as Map View as Satellite Imagery View as Map with Satellite Imagery Show/Hide Info Labels Zoom Out Zoom In Zoom Out Zoom In
    find city: